Mandan News

Advance placement courses in high school

District 31 Update
By Rep. Karen Rohr

In addition to the Health Care Reform Review Committee, I also have the privilege of serving on the Interim Education Funding Committee. On June 2 and 3, we met jointly with the Higher Education Funding Committee in Grand Forks. On day two we heard a report from DPI regarding the availability, delivery and cost of providing dual credit and advanced placement courses in N.D. Since I am limited on the length of my updates, I will address this content in two parts. The July Update will address Part I on dual credit courses, and the August Update will address Part II on advanced placement courses.

Part I: This part will address the definitions, enrollment requirements, course availability and resources for information on dual credit courses. I also thought it would be of interest to provide the 2013 and 2014 data on the number of students in grades 10 through 12 from District 31 enrolled in dual-credit courses.

Dual Credit: According to the N.D. Department of Public Instruction, the Dual Credit program has been in existence since 1997. The N.D. Dual Credit Program is an agreement between a college and a high school that allows students in grades 10 through 12 to take college courses and receive college credit. The college and high school jointly agree on the course/s to be offered and the instructor to teach the course. The courses are taught by approved instructors, either face to face in the classroom, online or through Interactive Video Network. Dual credit courses may also be used to meet high school graduation requirements. Upon completion, the course/s is transcripted at both the high school and college. One of the goals of the Dual Credit Program is to reduce duplication between high school and college coursework; therefore, the N.D. DPI has developed an alignment chart which is available for viewing at

Dual Credit Data: DPI reported that in 2013, 102 N.D. high schools offered dual credit courses, and a total of 5,491 students were enrolled in one or more dual credit courses. In 2014, 106 high schools offered dual credit courses, and a total of 6,379 students enrolled in dual credit courses. The breakdown for students enrolled in one or more dual credit courses in grades 10, 11 and 12 for 2013 were 214, 1,703 and 3,574; and for 2014 247, 2,097, and 4,035 students; respectively.

According to DPI, Public Schools in District 31 that offered dual credit courses in 2013 and 2014 are Elgin-New Leipzig, Flasher and Mott-Regent. Since students from rural Morton County attend Mandan High School, their data will also be included. In 2013 and 2014, for grades 10, 11 and 12, the number of students enrolled in one or more dual credit courses in Elgin-New Leipzig were (2013) 0, 0, 6 (2014) 16, 0, 10; Flasher High School (2013) 0, 0, 2 (2014) 0, 8, 16; Mott-Regent (2013) 7, 1, 58 (2014) 9, 24, 74; and Mandan High School (2013) 0, 242, 224 (2014) 5, 165, 145.

Dual Credit Cost: Regarding the cost for dual credits, the committee was informed that a new fee structure will be fully implemented in 2015: Subsidized rate – $65/credit (school district); Unsubsidized rate – $115/credit (college). The Bank of N.D. offers a dual credit assistance program for qualified students. Under this program, students may enroll free of charge if they take up to two college courses per school year and meet the eligibility requirements. To be eligible: the student needs to be a sophomore, junior or senior attending a N.D. high school; school district superintendent or designee must approve the student taking the course; and the student must qualify for free or reduced price lunch.

N.D. Academic Scholarship: It was brought to our attention that N.D. students are required to complete either AP or Dual Credit courses in order to qualify for the N.D. Academic Scholarship. For more detailed information regarding the N.D. Academic Scholarship go to

In conclusion, I hope you find this information helpful. For further information regarding dual credit opportunities within your community, contact your local school counselor, school principal and/or N.D. DPI. Have a great week, .