Mandan News

Diane Boit: Kremer sets new record at State Swim Meet, 1988

Diane Boit

25 Years Ago – 1988

The roof literally came off the Mandan Community Center from the roar of the crowd when the electronic score board displayed a new state record time of 1:58.53 for MHS senior Kelly Kremer in the 200 IM at the State Swimming and Diving Championships held at the Mandan Community Center. The 200 IM requires a swimmer to swim 50 yards each of backstroke, butterfly, breaststroke and freestyle. Kremer also took first in the 100 backstroke.

Others competing for Mandan were Rob Weigel, Keith Huff, Troy Barth, Rob Zimmel, Keale Heinz, and Mike Cichos.

Minot took the championship honors; second place went to four-time state champion Fargo North. The Braves, coached by Ralph Manley, finished seventh.

Kelly Kremer

Kelly Kremer

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The Mandan City Commission met this week to establish a special assessment district to the pay the city’s share for the replacement of the Eighth Avenue N.W. viaduct. A new bridge relocated to 10th Avenue N.W. is part of the plan and will eliminate the highway curves leading to the old structure.


50 Years Ago – 1963

Riedinger Motors has loaned a courtesy car to the Mandan High School in conjunction with the Kiwanis Driver Training Program. Les Feist, sales manager at Riedinger’s, presented the four-door Plymouth sedan to MHS principal August L. Spiss and Bill Zwarych, Driver Training instructor.

Pat Haseltine, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Erwin Haseltine, has been installed Worthy Advisor of the Order of Rainbow for Girls of Mandan Assembly No. 16. The theme of the installation was “How High is the Rainbow.” Carrying out the theme’s colors, Miss Haseltine wore a floor-length pink satin formal accented by a corsage of lavender mums. Her uncle, Ernest George, installed the Worthy Advisor, and she was crowned by members of WoWaste Chapter, Order of DeMolay.

An exhausted North Dakota legislature adjourned at 3:35 a.m. Monday, March 18, after a session that extended nine days past its deadline and would up in a bitter battle over taxes. The overtime broke a record of seven days set in 1955.

Funeral services were held this week at Mandan’s First Presbyterian Church for Dr. Cecil C. Smith, 76. Dr. Smith began practicing medicine in Mandan in 1924, retiring from private practice in 1950 to become the health officer for the newly-organized Custer District Health Unit. He had been the local physician for the North Pacific Railway and the State Industrial School until 1959. Dr. Smith was honored in 1960 by the State Medical Assn. for 50 years of medical practice.

Displayed on the front page of this week’s Daily Pioneer is a picture of the new type of telephone to be available in the fall – the push button phone. According to Bell telephone officials, the rotary dial phones will soon be replaced by Touch Tone models, available in colors, other than black.


75 Years Ago – 1938

Chief of Police Jim Buckley has issued a warned to children crossing the Northern Pacific railroad tracks on their way to school or to the movie theatre. Many children are not using the underpass constructed to prevent accidents, he said, adding that boys from the south end of town are crossing the tracks with little regard to trains that may be switching. Some have been seen crawling under five or six freight cars which, although at a standstill at that time, may be set in motion at any moment by a switching engine.

Anthony Mann, Sr., St. Anthony farmer, is recovering at his home from injuries sustained when he fell beneath the wheels of an automobile and was dragged several hundred feet. Using a team of horses and a wagon, Mann was attempting to pull the stalled vehicle from a muddy road near his home when he was jolted from the wagon’s seat and fell beneath the car wheels. It is reported that the automobile was successfully extricated and is in good condition; Mr. Mann’s condition will be good after a couple of week’s rest.

Margaret Kennelly, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. T.G.C. Kennelly, of Mandan, is representing the senior class of Mandan High School in the state Good Citizenship Pilgrimage contest sponsored by the Daughters of the American Revolution. She was also honored by her classmates as the most outstanding girl of the senior class.

This week’s headlines in the Daily Pioneer: “Nazis dominate Austria- Vienna overtaken!” The rise of Adolph Hitler and his Nazi party has been noted in the nation’s newspapers for several years. Although Germany’s military presence is beginning to cause alarm in France and England, Americans are feeling safe and have no appetite for a war across the Atlantic.

A 1938 Mandan Pioneer ad for Winter Bargains at the Cummins Store, which was located at 200 West Main St.

A 1938 Mandan Pioneer ad for Winter Bargains at the Cummins Store, which was located at 200 West Main St.


100 Years Ago – 1913

“Plans for the big annual Easter ball of the Mandan Fire Department are rapidly taking shape. A six-piece orchestra has been secured for the occasion including: Robert Mackin, leader, violin; Lloyd Harmon, flute; Ed Ronco, clarinets; Mrs. McKendry, piano; Wm. Rober, cello; and E. D. Wilkinson, drums and traps.

“Funeral services over the remains of the late John Broshard were held Saturday morning from St. Joseph’s Catholic Church. Thirty-six members of the Mandan Volunteer Fire Department attended in a body in uniform to pay their last respects to their departed comrade, who for 16 years had been a member of the hook and ladder company. Prior to making his home in Mandan in 1894, Broshard took part in the Indian wars, before serving as a baker at Fort Lincoln.”


125 Years Ago – 1888

The village of Mandan was organized in the spring of 1881; by 1888 its population was at 2,600.

March 22, 1888: “On Thursday at 3:30 p.m. the thermometer stood at 40 degrees above zero.

“The money with which the soldiers at Ft. Lincoln are paid comes to Mandan by express. Several thousand dollars come at a time, and, as most of it is in gold and silver, it is packed in strong canvas bags containing a number of thousand dollars each. The members of the guard, which comes to escort the money to the fort, put on lots of style. They all wear white gloves and have their guns polished to the last degree.

“On one occasion the money was carried into the express office and placed on the table, with three guards standing erect and stiff in front of it. After the papers were signed and the bags were ready to be put in the wagon, the officer in charge told the sergeant to take a bag out, pointing to one containing $3,000 in silver.

“The sergeant in due course pointed to the bag and told a guard to take it out. The guard walked up to it and took hold daintily with this thumb and finger. As the bag weighed about 175 pounds, it did not come up that way, where upon the fingers of both the white-gloved hands were brought into use.

“Again, it did not move.

“The guard then put down his musket and, after much difficulty, shouldered the money and staggered out with it while the onlookers cheered loudly.”


(To contact Diane Boit, email