Mandan News

Diane Boit: Neibel wins Ceramic’s Peggy Award, 1987

25 Years Ago – 1987

Belinda Neibel, owner of Siouxland Ceramics Supply of Mandan, has won the Peggy Award for her “Quail Family” done in chalk at the Prairie Rose Ceramic Asociation’s annual show held in Minot. The Peggy Award is the most sought after professional award at hobby ceramic competition across the country. More than 350 ceramic pieces were judged at the Minot show. Belinda, along with her husband, Chuck, has been in the ceramic business for 11 years.

Belinda Neibel

Peter V. Herda has been installed as the new Commander of the Gilbert S. Furness Post No. 40 of the American Legion, Mandan. Other officers installed are: Thomas Kasper, First Vice Commander; David McFerran, Second Vice Commander; Roy Tomanek, Adjutant; Bill Krueger, Financial Officer; Chris Freidt, Sergeant-at-Arms; George Marback, Historian; and John Hebert, Chaplain.

Pete Herda

Mid-continent Theaters has been awarded the bid to lease the former Showboat Movie Theater, with plans to reopen by June 1. Renamed the Academy Theater, the 400-seat Mandan show hall has been remodeled, featuring an improved sound system, reconditioned seats and lobby. It will be the only discount movie theater in the Bismarck-Mandan area. Admission is 99 cents for second-run movies.

Eleven seniors will be receiving diplomas as the last graduating class from St. Gertrude High School at Raleigh. The school was established in 1958 and, in recent years, had increasing difficulty in meeting expenses. The school had depended upon tuition payments, a subsidy from the 64 families of St. Gertrude Parish and some funding from the Catholic Diocese. According to P.J. Deichert, chairman of the parochial school board, enrollment for the 1986-87 school year was 41, with just 21 local students and 20 Ethiopian boarders, for all 12 grades.


50 Years Ago – 1962

Mrs. Earl Bakke Bucklin, of Mandan, has been chosen as the North Dakota Mother of the Year in a competition with four other women from across the state. Born in Cooperstown, 65 years ago, Mrs. Bucklin taught school for 31 years while raising four daughters. Her husband, Earl, is a state boiler inspector. Mrs. Bucklin, who retired from teaching in 1958, is currently a volunteer reader, making tape recordings for the blind.

The Mandan Mrs. Jaycees have elected Mrs. Raymond Rolshoven as their new president, succeeding Mrs. Wallace Joersz, during a meeting at the home of Mrs. Wynn Keller. Elected vice president was Mrs. Ernest Borr; secretary is Mrs. Art Cox; treasurer is Mrs. John M. Schmidt.

Mr. and Mrs. Ray Frye have purchased Jerry’s Supper Club from Mr. and Mrs. Gerald Boren, who have been the owners and operators since 1946 after purchasing it from Mike Guon. A native of Colorado, Frye came to Bismarck in 1952 as chef at the Apple Creek Country Club before associating with the Borens in the operation of the club. Mrs. Frye is the former Caroline Brucker, of Mandan.


75 Years Ago – 1937

Representing Mandan in the state marble tournament at Grand Forks will be Jerry Anderson and William Stroh, champion and runner-up in the finals of the city tournament. Anderson swamped Stroh in three out of four games to win the city “Migs” title. With play broadcast over Mandan’s KGCU radio, the six knucklers, representing the titlist and runner-up in three grade schools playoffs, played “for keeps” and the city crown. The final contestants were: Chris Boehm and William Stroh, St. Joseph’s school; Billy Allen and Joe Emil, Syndicate school; Jerry Anderson and Robert Brigham, Central School. The trip to the state tournament in Grand Forks will be financed by the Junior Chamber of Commerce.

Seventy-five couples, including members of the junior and senior classes of Mandan High School, plus faculty members and alumni and their escorts, attended the annual Junior Prom at the Memorial building in Mandan. The auditorium was transformed into a Hawaiian setting with a profusion of huge palm trees and a tropical garden using the senior class colors of yellow and blue. The evening’s music was provided by Charles Bolt’s orchestra from Aberdeen, S.D., seated on the stage in a grass hut with a large tropical moon peering over its top.

Mandan and Morton County residents were saddened to learn of the death Judge John Burke, 78, who had served as State Supreme Court Justice since 1924. Burke was also North Dakota’s governor for three terms and was the U. S. Treasurer under President Wilson. The funeral for “Honest John,” as he was commonly known around the state, will be held at St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Bismarck.


100 Years Ago – 1912

“City Assessor J. C. Clark, who has been busy the past two weeks in getting a list of voters with their party affiliation in the city of Mandan, has not been having the easiest time imaginable. A great many voters think it is none of the assessor’s blasted business what party they belong to, and some have refused point blank to sign the blanks provide for that purpose. However, the law is on the books, and until it is changed, parties who refuse to give the assessor their signature and party cannot vote at the primaries.

“The community was shocked Wednesday morning to learn of the sudden and untimely death of Mrs. Frank S. Hudson, the 28-year old wife of one of Mandan’s most respected merchants. The cause of death is complications from childbirth. After suffering convulsions at home, she was taken to the Mandan hospital where she and her child died. The former Estella Brunner was born at Sayre, N.Y., marrying Mr. Hudson in 1910. Funeral services will be held at the Presbyterian Church, Mandan.”


125 Years Ago – 1887

The village of Mandan was organized in the spring of 1881; by 1887 the population was already nearing the 2,500 mark.

May 25, 1887: “On Friday, at 3:30 p.m. the thermometer stood at 84 degrees above zero.

“There were seventeen horses and head of stock pastured in the city park this morning east of the freight depot. The suggestion has been made that in order to protect the stock that graze there, it would be well for the city to build a fence close to the railroad so that no cow or calf, horse or pony, could be run over by passing trains.

“Coroner Reed yesterday was notified of the accidental death of Private Tell of Co. G, 11th Infantry, stationed at Fort Lincoln. Tell had been repairing the wire on a telephone pole, when he fell to the ground, breaking his neck.

“A couple of soldiers were sent over to Bismarck last night from Fort Lincoln to procure some trimmings for the coffin of the unfortunate man Tell, who fell and broke his neck on the previous day. The soldiers, instead of spending the money that had been handed them for funeral trappings, blew it for whiskey, and when they were ready to come home (without the trimmings) they were too drunk to ride in the train.”


(To contact Diane Boit, email