Mandan News

Mandan house fire ruled accidental

By Jenny Michael
Lee News

Mandan fire officials have ruled a weekend house fire as accidental.

Chief Steve Nardello said the fire at 804 Third St. S.W. was reported at 1:38 a.m. Saturday. The report of the fire came from a cellphone, but Nardello did not know who made the call.

The stepson of the person who rents the home was in the house at the time of the fire and suffered from smoke inhalation, Nardello said. He said the stepson also had a bun on his hand, but did not recall how he was burned.

Nardello said he and an insurance company investigator were at the home on Tuesday and determined that the fire was accidentally started. He said they do not know the exact origin, but the stepson said he had been drinking and does smoke.

The home had major smoke and heat damage throughout, though there was no structural damage, Nardello said.